Thinking of relocating to the Phoenix area, or purchasing a winter home? Read on to learn 10 fun facts about the capital city of Arizona.
We are Scottsdale golf community real estate experts who make it our job to know the Phoenix area inside and out. Reach out to us if you would like to learn more about our area.
Here are 10 Fun Facts about Phoenix:
- Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the U.S. (a population of 1.4 million people.)
- Phoenix sits at an elevation of 1,117 feet.
- The “Greater Phoenix” area refers to Chandler, Glendale, Scottsdale and Tempe.
- 16+ million people visit Phoenix each year.
- The Sonoran Desert, where Phoenix is located, is actually one of the greenest and wettest deserts in the entirety of North America because the Sonoran Desert gets 3-15 inches of rain every year.
- Phoenix has more sunny days than any other metropolitan city in the U.S.
- The Greater Phoenix area has more than 200 golf courses.
- Phoenix has a franchise in all 4 professional major sports leagues: Arizona Coyotes (NHL), Arizona Diamondbacks (MLB), Phoenix Suns (NBA) and the Arizona Cardinals (NFL). Only 13 other cities in the U.S. have similar representation.
- Phoenix’s Waste Management Open draws in more spectators than any other event on the PGA tour – nearly 500,000 spectators. In 2013, 179,022 people attended the Waste Management Open in a single day, a total which set a new world record.
- Every February, 15 major league baseball teams make the Phoenix area their home for Cactus League Spring Training
If you enjoyed these 10 fun facts about Phoenix, you may enjoy reading 10 Fun Facts about Arizona.
Realtor | Founder
The Matheson Team – RE/MAX Fine Properties
21000 N. Pima Rd., #100, Scottsdale, AZ 85255