The Sonoran Desert is a very unique and beautiful place, and the Scottsdale area is lucky enough to be surrounded by its beauty. We’re going to give you 10 fun facts about the Sonoran Desert.
If you’re interested in buying a home located in the beautiful Sonoran Desert, contact the Matheson Team, your Scottsdale area real estate experts for more information.
1. The Sonoran Desert covers approximately 100,000 square miles (260,000 sq. km) and includes most of the southern half of Arizona, southeastern California, most of the Baja California peninsula, the islands of the Gulf of California, and much of the state of Sonora, Mexico.
2. The Sonoran Desert is the only place in the world where saguaro cacti grow.
3. You can be fined $10,000 for transplanting a saguaro without the proper license (Arizona’s Protected Plants Law).
4. Approximately 2,000 species of plants are supported by the Sonoran Desert.
5. Common animals of the Sonoran Desert include: Banded Gila Monster, Bobcat, Cactus Wren, Coyote, Desert Bighorn, Javelina, Cactus Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl, Sonoran Pronghorn Antelope and Sonoran Toad.
6. Common plants of the Sonoran Desert include: Barrel Cactus, Brittle, Bush, Desert Ironwood, Chain Fruit Cholla, Creosote Bush, Crimson Hedgehog Cactus, Ocotillo, Palo Verde, Saguaro Cactus, Soaptree Yucca, Teddybear Cholla (or Jumping Cholla), Triangle-leaf Bursage, and Velvet Mesquite.
7. Phoenix is the largest metropolitan city to be encompassed by the Sonoran Desert.
8. The Sonoran Desert is the hottest and most bio-diverse of the North American deserts.
9. The Sonoran Desert has 2 mountains: Mount Kofa and Mount Catalina. Only Mount Catalina gets snow.
10. Sonoran Desert receives more rainfall than any other desert – it receives approximately 10 inches a year on average. Due to its proximity to the ocean, the eastern part of the Sonora Desert – the Baja area – receives 10 to 12 inches.
CONTACT US for more information on the Scottsdale area.
Realtor | Founder
The Matheson Team – RE/MAX Fine Properties
21000 N. Pima Rd., #100, Scottsdale, AZ 85255
[gravityform id=”1″ name=”Contact Form” title=”false” description=”false”]