Next to kitchens, bathrooms are the second most popular room to remodel. Here are the 7 top trends for bathroom renovations to improve both the enjoyment and the value of your home.
The Matheson Team wants you to get the most out of your investment in your home. Remodeling a bathroom can provide a big return when it comes to resale. Make us your “go to” resource for real estate information and home improvement ideas for your Scottsdale area home.
According to Houzz, a resource that brings homeowners and remodeling and design professionals together on-line, the top bathroom renovation trends are:
1. Master bathrooms are the first to be remodeled – over 60% of people remodeling bathrooms are doing their master bath; 61% of homeowners who are renovating their bathrooms are starting from scratch and gutting the existing room.
2. Showers are more popular than bathtubs. People are foregoing bathtubs in both their master and other full bathrooms. Instead, people are putting in large, walk-in showers.
a. 59% of people aged 65+ are skipping tubs all together
b. 36% of people in the 25-34 year old bracket are not putting bathtubs in the master bathroom; and
c. 39% of that same age group are skipping bathtubs in other full bathrooms
3. For those who do chose a bathtub, freestanding tubs are most popular, followed by drop-ins and then the spa/jetted tubs.
4. The majority of homeowners are installing two sinks in master bathrooms during their remodel.
5. 79% of bathroom renovations have a glass shower door rather than a shower curtain
6. More than 90% of homeowners are installing higher efficiency toilets
7. White/antique white cabinets in bathrooms are the top choice for bathroom renovations
Why are homeowners renovating? Homeowners are renovating bathrooms because they want to:
- upgrade the fixtures and have a fresher design look;
- make the space more efficient and functional (including organization and storage)
- change with their family needs
- increase the value of their home
If you’re beginning to think about a bathroom renovation here are a few things to consider:
Start by making a list of why you want the change. Naturally from the “why” you want to change will flow the “what” you want to change. Look at your neighbors’ homes, magazines and websites for ideas. Make notes of what you like and why you like it. Then prioritize your list. Bathroom remodels can be expensive. Prioritizing your list helps you assess what’s most important and keeps you focused on doing the most important things first.
Think about the time, budget and effort you have to put into the project. Whether you’re doing-it-yourself or hiring professionals, there’s a lot of time, effort and money that goes into a remodel.
Make a budget for the project and subtract 20% from the budget for the unexpected things that might come up so you have the room to do-it-right.
Have a rough sketch of the space with measurements and add your ideal layout plan. When you go to your designer or home supply store it will help you narrow your choices more quickly.
Take measurements 3 times to be sure you have them completely accurate. Especially if you’re doing the remodel yourself, most home supply stores have a restocking fee. Correct measurements ensure you’ll avoid costly returns.
If you’re changing the flooring, be sure to replace the underlayment – especially in a bathroom where floors tend to be moister than other areas of your house.
Who wants their morning routine disrupted?! To minimize the impact of the renovation, move your bathroom supplies over to a bathroom that’s not being used so you won’t have to hunt amidst the dust in the morning.
Reach out to us if you would like more information and ideas on renovations that will help you get the best return on your investment.
Realtor | Founder
The Matheson Team – RE/MAX Fine Properties
21000 N. Pima Rd., #100, Scottsdale, AZ 85255
[gravityform id=”1″ name=”Contact Form” title=”false” description=”false”]