When choosing a new garage door for your Scottsdale area home, there are a number of factors that should be considered, such as design, durability, maintenance and security. This article will give you the information you need to choose a garage door that looks, and works, better.
We are Scottsdale real estate experts who love sharing home improvement tips with our readers. Bookmark our Blog for more great ideas.
Here are 4 steps to follow when choosing a new garage door for your Scottsdale area home:
Step One: Choose a style
First thing’s first. You need to answer this question: what style of home do you have? You want to choose a garage door that will complement the overall theme of your home. Here are three garage door styles:
- Carriage House: doors that look like they could be found on a horse stable, these “wooden” doors add old-world charm and elegance to a home
- Traditional: these doors often have multiple panel designs and windows along their top edges. They can be painted in a variety of colors.
- Modern: usually made of aluminum, these doors can feature multiple panels of glass lending a real contemporary look
Step Two: Choose a material
- Wood: wooden garage doors tend to elevate the aesthetic of home. In simpler terms? They look expensive. Which makes your home look expensive. They also add character and old-world charm to your home. Wood, however, is not as strong a material as steel for example, and tends to be pretty heavy. Wooden garage doors need to be re-stained every few years as well.
- Steel: an excellent choice for durability, steel doors can be customized to incorporate a number of elements from other garage doors. For example, steel doors can be made to look like wood, but will surpass a wooden door in terms of its weight and life span. Steel doors also last longer because the motors that are attached to them last longer, as they have to pull less weight throughout their lifetimes.
- Aluminum: these doors require very little maintenance and are great for areas with temperate climates. Aluminum doors are also frequently paired with small windows, allowing natural light into your garage.
Step Three: Check the look
There are a number of online resources that will let you upload a photo of your home to test various styles of garage doors. Through trial and error, you’ll get a real sense of what the space will look like if you decide to go ahead with the project.
Step Four: Select extra features and accessories
Consider these additional features to further customize your new garage door:
- Remote control activation
- Direction of opening
- Wrought-iron hardware
- Insulation (to reduce noise)
Contact Us for more ideas on how to increase the value of your home.
Realtor | Founder
The Matheson Team – RE/MAX Fine Properties
21000 N. Pima Rd., #100, Scottsdale, AZ 85255